Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Thinking ahead

Even though it is still summer, I've been thinking a lot about Christmas gifts. I like to hand make most of my gifts, so the sooner I start, the better. One gift I've been planning on making for a while now is a Waldorf-style doll for my daughter. Last fall I took a sewing pattern book out of my library, planning on making the doll, but was overwhelmed by the pattern. Being a very new sewer, it was just too complicated for me. I thought I might end up buying one for her, but after looking online at all the various choices, the high prices made me reconsider real fast!
So, I recently thought of the perfect compromise: buying a naked and featureless doll body (which was the part that was so daunting for me), and making everything else myself. Perfect! A partly Mama-made doll. Works for me. There are a few different Etsy sellers who sell the plain doll body, and at a reasonable price.
One of the parts I've been most looking forward to is spinning the yarn for the doll's hair. I already had this gorgeous braid of roving in my stash, and it will be perfect for my little redhead's doll.


 I decided to spin it up on one of my favorite Tom Forrister spindles (it's a low whorl). I spin on spindles while the kids are playing around me, and I like the idea of them watching this yarn take shape, even though they don't know what it is for, yet.
 I also finished wheel-spinning this alpaca fiber from Upstream Alpacas.
And finally... we are rich in zucchini!! This is about 1/3 of the squash harvest, so far this summer.

Have a lovely week!

No comments:

Post a Comment